Monday, June 25, 2012

GOODBYE MICHAEL

This has been a shocking...heart-wrenching weekend. Now...we're left with heavy hearts. A too-young friend of our family...including our grandchildren...has died...and it hurts.

Michael was in a freak accident Friday night...not six hours after I saw and spoke to him. As usual...I parted ways with a smile on my face as Michael and I exchanged words...that made us each smile. How could I know...that that would be our last conversation...well...one that I could hear Michael's response anyway.

Through the weekend...Michael's wife Heather kept us up to date from his ICU room. Cindy & I stopped in to see the two of them several times too. Michael hit his head in the accident...and was never responsive from that moment on. Late last night...it was determined that there would be no miracle for Michael...as Heather said...at least not the miracle we were praying for.

Once Heather realized that the miracle she, and her family and friends, was praying for wouldn't happen...the next miracle she prayed for was that some of Michael's organs could be used to help others. That one came true.

My heart is happy for those other families whose miracle they were praying for...was answered. But my heart is heavy...because Michael's three little children...are now left without a daddy.

Heather...has watched over our 3 grandchildren since they were very young. They have grown up at Michael and Heather's house. Michael was such a blessing to our 3 little ones. He was 'a kid' with them when they needed him to be...he loved on them when they needed it...and he corrected them when they needed it too.

We shared with them last night that Michael was not going to survive his injuries and was going to die. They are sad. And we are sad with them.

It will be a hard battle for Heather to win...but our family will do our best to help her and her three little ones...Ellie...Tage...and Sawyer...through the hardship.

Michael...we are so sorry that this has happened. I told you last night in your room...thanks for taking care of my grandchildren for me. I now pledge to help take care of your little ones for you.

Rest in Peace Michael.


Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment