Wednesday, June 30, 2021

HALF PAST

 
In the quiet hours of the morning, the chiming of our grandfather clock caught my attention. It chimes 4 times on the quarter hour, 8 on the half hour, 12 on the 3/4 hour then 16 times on the hour. In addition then on the hour, the chiming is followed by a different tone of chimes equal to the hour it is on the clock. 

We’ve had this clock nearly 15 years so Cindy & I have heard it chime a ‘million’ times over those years. For some reason this morning, the chiming made me think of my dad. 

Dad was born early into the 20th century so he grew up in a much different way than me. I recall his stories of growing up in those days and the sayings that were from that era. As I thought about that clock this morning, it reminded me that dad didn’t say it was “6:15” or “6:30”. To him, it was always “quarter-past six” or “half-past six”. Certainly either way is correct, 6:30 IS half-past the hour of six, but I believe it’s one of those ‘generational’ terms. 

Dad’s been gone a long time…and it’s been a long time since I’ve heard anyone say…”it’s half past six”. Funny how a simple thing like the chiming of a clock, took me back all those years ago, to good memories of my dad.

REMEMBER: Never worry about numbers. Help one person at a time and always start with the person nearest you.
– Mother Teresa

Be talkin’ to ya.  Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment