Thursday, January 19, 2012

BIRTHDAYS

The headline read...Janis Joplin would turn 69 today.

I remember Janis Joplin. She and her band...Big Brother & the Holding Company...were a great rock 'n' roll staple in late 1969 and the early 70s. Like a few other bands...she appeared at Woodstock in the fall of '69...and her career took off.

But I really don't care about it being Janis' birthday today. I have two other birthdays of much more importance.

Yesterday...was my cousin, Ronnie's, birthday. He turned 73. I called Ron last night and we spoke for quite a while to catch up. Over the last couple of years, we have reconnected...after many years of little contact. Ron and his family live in Colorado. Like me...Ron was diagnosed with prostate cancer last year and just recently reached his one year cancer free anniversary. I remember Ron (he was Ronnie then...just like I was Danny)...when dad would drive us over to uncle Jimmy's for a Sunday visit to see the family...and stop in to see granddad who lived nearby. It has been good to catch up again in our phone calls.

Tomorrow...would be my big brother, Durward's, 79th birthday. As I've spoke of before...there's quite an age gap between Durward and I. He turned 21...just 3 weeks after I was born. He was out in the world...literally...doing a world tour on his Navy ship when I appeared. He would soon wrap up his time in the service...and begin his shortened life as a successful business executive with Gulf Oil Company.

I have fond memories of listening to and enjoying the music of Janice.

I have fond memories of my visits with my cousin Ron and quite enjoy visiting on the phone as we've done in recent years.

I have wonderfully fond memories of Durward...and how I wish so desperately...that he were here with us so I could call him...to wish him a happy 79th.


Dan

1 comment: