Monday, August 27, 2012

ZOE MEMORIES


Cindy & I spent a number of times this weekend…thinking about our missing family member…Zoe.

Zoe liked to sleep on the floor beside Cindy…so every time Cindy got out of bed…she had to step over the big mound of golden retriever lying beside her. During this weekend…out of habit…Cindy kept making that ‘big’ step when she got out of bed…only to be reminded she didn’t have to.

I noticed I did the same thing this morning when I got ready for work. I usually had to step around Zoe as I walked over to the closet to get clothes to slip on each morning. I got ready to make that ‘step around’ this morning…but didn’t need to.

We thought often about Zoe as we heard noises during the night…noises that reminded us of her. We thought about her as we looked in the corner of the kitchen where she spent most of her time…but she wasn’t there. The thunder that rumbled early this morning…made me think about Zoe…(she hated thunder!)

That big old golden girl was a part of nearly a quarter of our lives…13 years. It will take us a while to get adjusted to…when we don’t see something or hear something that reminds us of her. I still look at her picture…with those white facial hairs she developed as she aged…and smile. She’s gone…but the memory of her isn’t…and maybe never will be.

We have had 2 wonderful dogs during our years in Lafayette. After moving to our current home…we got a black lab…Layla. Layla helped the girls as they grew through those awful teen years. About 5 years later…in an effort to keep Layla company…and out of the simple fact of falling in love with that fluffy little round butter-ball we would call Zoe…we had found 2 wonderful dogs. Wonderful for our girls…wonderful for Cindy & me.

Layla lived to be nearly 10 years old and our hearts broke when she left us…but we still had Zoe…and that helped. Now our Zoe is gone too…both now resting out in the garden spot we made for them at the back of our property.

I don’t think it’s in my heart to have another dog. I think we found the 2 perfect dogs for us…and I’m doubtful we would ever find any that could replace them.

My dog raising years are behind me now…but I will carry wonderful memories of our ‘black and gold’ girls…Layla…and Zoe.

 
Rest In Peace Girls.

 
Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment