Thursday, October 18, 2012

LED ZEPPELIN

               5 Reasons Not to Miss Led Zeppelin's Concert Movie 'Celebration Day'

This was one of the headlines I perused this morning. The article that followed talked about the release of a concert film made of a Led Zeppelin concert from 2007. It apparently will only be shown at selected theaters across the country for the next few days…likely not even into the weekend. If it’s in any of our local theaters, I hope to go see it…on the big screen. With such a short release period, my hunch is that it will be released in DVD format in time for my kids to buy it for me as a Christmas gift. That may have to do…if I can’t find a local theater to watch it.

In my high school years, I was developing my love for ‘heavy’ rock 'n' roll…and Led Zeppelin filled the bill. I had bought their first 2 albums when they were released in 1969…and I must have listened to both of them a hundred times.

Then my rock 'n' roll fever was given a big booster shot…Led Zeppelin was coming to a nearby city for a concert…and I got tickets. And not just ‘any’ tickets…13th row…close…real close. In February 1970, I traveled to Robert’s Stadium in Evansville, Indiana…and watched one of the heaviest…loudest rock concerts I could imagine. I took pictures with a borrowed camera…one of those Polaroid cameras that the picture spit out the front after you snapped it and developed itself over the next minute or so. The security in those days…wasn’t like the security I’ve seen at concerts today. I walked right up to the stage to snap my photos. If Robert Plant (lead singer) or Jimmy Page (guitarist) would have leaned down…I could have shaken their hand. They were…RIGHT…there. The drum solo…always a staple in those days of rock concerts…was fantastic. John Bonham (the drummer) was as good a drummer as any around…and he put on a display that I had not seen or imagined.

Unfortunately…the photos I took that night have been lost over the last 40 years…I would love to have them now. I also had kept the ticket stub from the concert as well…I paid $5.50 for that 13th row seat…but the ticket stub has gone to the same place those photos went.

I’m hoping to find the opportunity to go see the big screen concert…and for just a few hours…go back in time. But if I don’t make it…maybe Santa will help me out…with the DVD version.

Rock on.

 
Dan

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment