Saturday, January 19, 2013

MY BROTHER'S BIRTHDAY...AND MY '3D' WISH


 Tomorrow, January 20, is my big brother’s birthday. Durward would be 80 tomorrow. How I wish he was around so I could celebrate this special birthday with him. I have not seen Durward in 43 years …as he was lost in an auto accident that many years ago. Durward was a wise big brother, a very intelligent, loving son, brother, husband and dad.

I was just a teen when I lost him…a little too immature to know of Durward’s wisdom and counsel… a little oblivious of the ways of the world…and not yet realizing the value of a loving family. I had a loving family…I just didn’t know it…and appreciate it…like I do today.

As I think about tomorrow…and Durward…I also can’t help but think of our brother… David…who I lost last spring to lung cancer. Last month… December… was Dave’s birthday. My heart hurt a little on that day…as I truly missed not having the opportunity to call Dave and wish him a happy birthday…and hear his voice…and hear him laugh.

Having just celebrated my own birthday a few weeks ago… how I would treasure having gotten a call from both brothers and hear them wish me a happy birthday.

As I think more about the three of us boys…the 3 D’s…my mind wanders…trying to conjure up in my memory banks…if I have ever seen a photograph of the 3 of us boys…together. I’ve got pictures of Dave and me…and Dave and Durward…but I have no photo of the 3 of us. I wonder if one exists? I wonder if somewhere…pushed back into the back of an old desk drawer…or in a box of old pictures on a closet shelf…if someone in the family…or old friend of the family … doesn’t have a picture of the 3 of us?

If it exists…I’d love to have a copy of it. It would be placed in a special frame…and hang in a special place in my home…so I could see it every day as I walked by…and smile.

Until I find it...Happy Birthday Durward.


Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment