Friday, March 12, 2021

A Million Dollars.....gone


A recent news article states quarterback Tom Brady’s rookie football card sold for $1.32 million. 

Sadness overcame me as I read this and thought back to the 1960s when I was buying baseball cards. For a nickel, you got a pack of 5 cards with various baseball players and a slab of bubble gum that chewed like a Michelin tire. I didn’t really collect the cards for any purpose other than to chew that gum, tell friends I had somebody’s card and to use the card to put on the tires of my bicycle to make it sound like a motorcycle when the spokes rubbed the card. 

Some of the baseball stars from those days included Mickey Mantle, Lou Brock, Harmon Killebrew, Hank Aaron and Pete Rose among many others. I have no doubt that I had a card for most if not all of those guys that simply got tore up in my fake motorcycle. 

Had I only had the knowledge that they would be a good retirement investment I would of put them away instead of throwing them away. 

Water under the bridge I guess.

REMEMBER:
Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

Be talkin’ to ya.
Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment