Sunday, March 14, 2021

The WORK Dream

 
About 18 months before I retired, Cindy and I were at our grandsons’ baseball game and we ran into an old workmate who had retired about 6 months prior to that game. Her grandson and ours go to different schools and, on this day, were playing baseball against each other. They both also play AAU basketball and have been teammates for several years so they have a competitive but respectful friendship. 

Anyway, while talking to Michelle she told me she recently had her first ‘work’ dream...that is...a dream about being back at work that she had retired from 6 months before. 

Flash forward about 2 years and Michelle and I met up again at a sporting event and I told her that I too had had the ‘work’ dream after retiring. I asked her if she still was having any work dreams and she said no. I, however, continue to have them several times a month. Each one is a little different…explaining a procedure to a patient…starting an IV… telling a doctor what I found…are just a few I recall. I guess after 42 years, it’s difficult to totally forget your old routine. 

Funny...nearly 50 years after finishing high school...I still have a dream every year or so about being back in high school. As I remember, they’re kinda stressful dreams…like trying to find my locker but not remembering which one is mine…or being in class, having the teacher pass out test papers and thinking…I haven’t studied for this! 

The nice thing about those school dreams is that my classmates and I are still 18 years old.

REMEMBER: 
The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Be talkin’ to ya.
Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment