Tuesday, June 8, 2010

FLORIDA COAST MEMORIES

I dislike writing about bad news...as we all get it enough already. But I just can't stay away from the gulf oil disaster. In a blog I wrote in May I wrote that the spill would be the worst man-made disaster...and I don't believe I will be proven wrong.

Now...the president is looking for someones ass to kick. I think it's too late for that.

According to the article and my thoughts...'the blob' is pretty well going to ruin much of the Louisiana coast. We've been to Gulf Shores, Alabama for a great spring break with our kids 10 years ago. It was ravaged by a hurricane since then that pretty well destroyed the beaches. Over time, they were rebuilt...but now...they are likely to be destroyed again.

Near the panhandle of Florida, just off the coast, is an island strip call St. George Islands. Cindy's family and her and I have been there several times. The last visit there was just after her dad was diagnosed with cancer. We had a wonderful family time as we grieved, worried and celebrated his life...all at the same time. The oil is heading that way...and I'm sure it will get there, and ruin those beaches that we walked up and down 100 times.

One of Cindy & my favorite places is the lower gulf coast of Florida...Ft. Myers Beach/Naples area. We have been there numerous times and love the area. We even desired to spend some of our retirement years there when that got here. My guess is...the oil will find its' way there too...and they are some of the most beautiful beaches we've seen.

All of those memories...may just end up being that...memories.

I'll hope for the best. But my optimism is waning.


Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment