Tuesday, May 17, 2011

TOUGH IN TENNESSEE

I had to giggle when I saw these headlines...about a Tennessee officer being fired, because he gave some confiscated beer to a fellow police officer. It took me back a few years.

In the summer of 1971, Haf, and I were stopped in the parking lot at Creole Lanes for underage drinking. We were asked to open the trunk of my car...and figuring I'd have more problems being a smart aleck and playing the 'show me your search warrant' CARD...than just cooperating and opening it up...I opened my trunk.

There...the officer found a well-stocked cooler. For our cooperation...we got a police car ride down to the station...where the officers looked through the spoils in my cooler...and teasingly...in front of us...quizzed each other on 'who' was going to take home the beer. 'Do you like this brand?' 'Nah...you take it.'

I don't know what ever happened to the beer...if they 'did' take it home...or if they poured it out on the ground. It didn't bother me. I was just glad they didn't throw us in jail. I think not playing 'the card'...paid off.

Apparently someone in Tennessee took offense...that the cops did something with the beer they took from a few underage kids. Firing a police officer over it...was a little over the top. Come on people...ease up.


Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment