Monday, August 1, 2011

THE FAN

In the wee hours of the morning, I was awake...and my mind kept spinning and I couldn't get back to sleep. This is a pretty normal activity for me...just another start to the day.

Listening to the noises of the house...I heard the central air conditioner running...and appreciated the coolness of the house...and I thought back 50 years when I was a little guy in Owensville.

Our little house didn't have air conditioning...in fact...I don't recall anyone having air conditioning in those days. I'm guessing we had summers...just like we're having right now...little rain for days and weeks...and day after day after day of 90 degree temperatures.

I remember going to bed at night and dad turning the fan on to help circulate the air. I always wanted him to point it at me...but he would aim it towards the ceiling...so the air could circulate through the house. Sometimes he would put it in the window sill...blowing the air out...which...he said...would pull the cool outside our in through the other windows.

I seem to remember some hot, sweaty nights...but we lived through it. Still...I sure do enjoy that central air conditioner fan blowing...in the middle of the night. I may not be able to sleep...but it's not because of the hot air outside.


Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment