Friday, January 15, 2021

No new BEATLE t-shirt this year

 It’s common knowledge in my family and among my friends that I’m a long-time Beatles fan. At one time I owned about 25 Beatles t-shirts, all gifts from Cindy or the kids for Father’s Day, Christmas or birthdays. Many of them now hang in the basement in my little Beatle memorabilia corner along with books, records and miscellaneous things I’ve gotten over the years. 

This year, rather than another t-shirt…my kids got me a Lego Beatles kit for my birthday. Imagine nearly 3000 small, circular Lego pieces about half the size of a dime, coming in 15 different colors, that when all put together in a pattern on an 18 inch x 18 inch Lego board, create an image of each Beatle. 

It took about 3 days for me to put together the John Lennon image and it looks pretty dang cool. The sucky part is that when I want to create images of Paul, George or Ringo, I have to undo all the pieces of the John image and then reposition them over another 3 hour session to create the new Beatle. I’ve told the kids I may wait a month before I tackle making the next Beatle and just enjoy the completed picture for awhile. Besides I need to let my arthritic fingers heal and my eyes to get uncrossed. 


REMEMBER:
I tell you, Larry, there is no other band, there will never be any band like them ever, for eternity. They are the best, I say to you Larry here in 1965, that the children of 2000 will be listening to the Beatles. And I sincerely mean that.—Brian Epstein

FYI: Brian Epstein was the Beatle manager and Larry was Larry Kane, an American journalist that traveled to every stop on the Beatles 1964 and 1965 tours of America. He is the author of multiple books including “Ticket to Ride” about his travels with the Beatles, and “When They Were Boys, the True Story of the Rise of the Beatles”.

In reality, the children in 2021 are still listening to the Beatles.

Be talkin' to ya.
Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment