Thursday, February 10, 2011

NAME FROM THE PAST

The name Jerry Sloan will mean nothing to probably 99 and 44/100% of my readers...but that name causes me to recall fond memories with my dad.

In 1965, Sloan was the center on the basketball team in Evansville. By the end of the season, they were the small college national champions with an undefeated season. Now known as the University of Evansville, back in those days it was known as Evansville College. Sloan, and teammate, Larry Humes, both finished their college careers as All-Americans and National Champions.

Dad and I followed almost all of their games on the radio that season. I'd join dad in the office of the motel in the evening, and we'd listen to the games. We had nervous and enjoyable nights...as we listened to them win game after game all season long.

Sloan went on to play professional basketball for the Chicago Bulls and then became a coach in the professional league. He has decided to retire this week, thus making the headlines that caught my eye.

Ironically, what I didn't know until reading a current article about him...is that after retiring from his playing days, he returned to Evansville to become their basketball coach, but changed his mind a week after his arrival, and left the job.

Tragically, a few months later...the Evansville team and coaching staff were killed when the team plane crashed during a snowy, winter flight. I remember hearing the terrible news about it the next morning.

But what I will always recall when I hear the name Jerry Sloan...will be the warm memories of sharing time with my dad.


Dan

1 comment:

  1. I'm shocked to hear of his resignation after 23 years as head coach of the Utah Jazz. Nowadays, it's extremely rare for a player, manager, or coach to spend that much time with one organization. I can't believe how much the NBA has changed since he started coaching the Jazz. It will take a long time to get used to the fact he is no longer the head coach.

    ReplyDelete