Wednesday, February 23, 2011

BLUE LAWS...SCHMOO LAWS

Here in Indiana...and according to this article...in Connecticut...and probably where you live...there are 'blue laws'. Specifically...a law prohibiting the sale of alcohol on Sundays.

I have no particular side to be on in this matter...because I'm not much of a drinker. I probably drink a case of beer...a year. I think Cindy & I were at Sam's Warehouse one Sunday and she happened to pick up a bottle of wine and we didn't think anything of it until we got to the checkout and were reminded it was Sunday. I'm real sure we didn't lose any sleep from not having that bottle of wine to sip on that afternoon.

The writer of the above article must be about my age. I enjoyed some of his comments...and they reminded me of how it was in my younger years...when next-to-nothing was open on Sundays.

I know when we lived in Owensville (population 1000) as a small kid...I think the restaurants were the only thing open on Sundays. I know that Sunday was the 'only' day that dad was off...and heck...occasionally he even did some work on that day.

But most of the time...it was a good day to go to church...and then do family things...like...go visit granddad...or my uncle and cousins...or my older sister or older brother...or make homemade ice cream.

Now days...more things are open...than closed on Sundays. It's just another day. I think we lost something there.

I think I'd enjoy...not only not having to worry about whether I could get booze on Sunday...but do I really have to do anything on Sunday?

Heck...let's all just stay home and relax...before Monday starts the week all over again.


Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment