Thursday, February 3, 2011

THE 'NEW' DALLAS

I see they are planning to remake a long running TV show from years past...'Dallas'.

Dallas was a prime time soap opera that first appeared in the spring of 1978. I think Cindy got hooked on it first...and then suckered me into watching it...and then I got hooked. Cindy's mom was also hooked...heck...even my dad got hooked on it.

Daughter Jaime was born the summer of '78...and we made frequent trips during her early years to the grandparents to show her off.

On Friday...we'd get off work...pack the car...and make a bee-line for Vincennes, or Owensville...depending on whether we were spending the night with Cindy's folks...or dad...because we had to get there before Dallas started. This was in the days before VCRs...or at least before we owned one.

Apparently a few of the characters from the original Dallas have agreed to make cameo appearances in the new one. After a few shows...I'm guessing they'll turn the debauchery over to the young stars...and the old ones will fade out.

I might watch the pilot...just to see how they'll meld the two generations...but I'll probably lose interest after a while...but we'll see.

If our kids get hooked on 'the new Dallas' like we did the 'old' one...they won't have the issues that we had. They'll just 'DVR' it...or watch a replay on the cable or on the computer. There won't be any comments coming from the car like...'better hurry up...the show's about to start and we're gonna miss it!!'

Good times.


Dan

1 comment: