Sunday, November 15, 2009

GOSSIP

I read an article in the NY Times submitted by Shayla McKnight about gossip in the workplace. Ms. McKnight works for an online printing company based in Livingston, Montana.

When she had her job interview with the company two years ago, she was told about the company’s no-gossip policy. She was told, “There’s no back-stabbing here, and no office politics. Gossiping and talking behind someone’s back are not tolerated.”

After accepting the job and having worked there for two years, she says the policy makes a real difference in the work environment. She goes on to say there is a ‘greater sense of being part of a team here than in other jobs I've had'. If employees do violate the company policy, a manager speaks to them, and if they don’t stop, they’re let go. It has happened.


That isn’t a policy at my work and I’m guessing not at yours either. I’d have to admit, I’ve contributed more than I should have to the gossip grapevine, and I’ll guess you have too.

There’s something good about this policy. It's the right thing to do. Even if our companies don’t have the policy, it wouldn’t be a bad thing for us to on our own.

How about making your own gossip policy? Imagine the person were sitting in the room with you. What would you say about a person if they personally heard the words come out of your mouth? Would you say something differently, or perhaps even better, just not say anything at all? That might eliminate some of the spread of gossip.

I’ll work on it. Will you?


Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment