Wednesday, November 18, 2009

SOMETIMES, THEY'RE JUST PLAIN STUPID

Yesterday a report was released that recommended that women without unusual cancer risks should not begin regular screening for breast cancer until age 50. Prior to this report, the consensus seemed to be age 40. The group behind the suggestion is the United States Preventive Services Task Force.

The task force also recommended that women aged 50 to 74 should have mammograms every two years rather than every year and, in perhaps the most surprising advisory, that doctors should stop advising women to regularly examine their own breasts.

The New York Times newspaper listed several comments from their readers in response to the report.

“Why all of a sudden this change?”

From one woman who agreed with the report: “I’ve been waiting for common sense regarding mammograms for years.”

Most, however, were like this one: “I already don’t trust these big groups who issue statements like this, but this really makes me question.”

“To tell women that self exams are not necessary, that is absurd. I think the FDA and insurance companies can be a bit like mafias, there are motives that we don’t see.”

“I cannot help but think that this decision has less to do with protecting a woman’s health and more to do with the financial advantages gained through less insurance coverage.”

“While I certainly understand the risks of over-treatment, I have gotten to know a shocking number of young women under 40 who have been diagnosed. Very often, there are no symptoms, other than those detectable through a mammogram or a sonogram. And very often, there is no genetic history of the disease.”

“Everything I’ve heard from the health advertisements to the medical professionals, says that even if you don’t have a family history of breast cancer, it doesn’t mean you won’t get it. This sends a real confusing message. Wow, they’re doing a complete 180.”


If we didn’t have enough mixed feelings going on with our health care today, this report seems to have many women’s heads spinning.

I have to believe there are untold numbers of women out there, of all ages, who have been diagnosed with breast cancer before they turned 50. Many of them would not be here today had it not been for that screening mammogram or self-examination they performed.

I truly hope that years from now, we don’t read about all the 50-year old women who waited to get their mammogram, (because that’s what they were told), to find out that a cancer has been found too late.

This group has some real explaining to do. Personally, I hope women don’t listen to their report, or their reasoning, and do what their better judgment tells them to do.

Our daughter Jaime, lost one of her school friends to breast cancer before she celebrated her 30th birthday. She left behind her 2-year old daughter. If it can happen to women in their 20’s…!

I just don’t get it. If anything, I question why the report didn’t suggest under 40 as the new standard. But what do I know? I’m just a guy who lost a mom and a sister to breast cancer. I don’t want to lose any more of my family or friends to this disease.


Dan

1 comment: