Wednesday, April 14, 2010

MCDONALD'S

In junior high and high school...my friends and I ate a 'lot' of burgers and fries. Our options for lunch were the Dairy Queen on Vigo Street...Burger Chef on 6th Street...Top Boy on Broadway...Charlie's Burger Barn on Washington Avenue...and Mac's, a greasy spoon restaurant on Main. There were a few others I'm sure...but those were the ones that our gang tended to go to at lunch time.

Two burgers and a coke at Charlie's was $0.41. A burger at Mac's and Dairy Queen was $0.25. Since most of us got $2 a week lunch money, those were all within our budget.

But the burger place that we craved the most...was McDonald's. Maybe it was because...there weren't any McDonald's in Vincennes at the time. When we would make a trip to Evansville...an hour away...we would HAVE to stop at McDonald's for a burger and fries. Not sure what made them soooo good...but we thought they were.

Today...there are at least 2 McDonald's in Vincennes. The Dairy Queen moved...Burger Chef, Top Boy, Charlie's and Mac's...no longer exist

Today...there are at least 10 McDonald's in Lafayette. My kids 'used' to like them...I'm not sure they're so crazy about them now. My grandkids 'love' them.

Me...I rarely go there...for myself that is. I'm not sure if it's because they aren't the 'rarity' they were when I was in school...or they just don't taste that good anymore.

McDonald's is now going to invest $5 billion to update their restaurants...to look less like a fast food burger joint and more like a fun place to be.

The days of my 15 cent burgers at Charlie's...are long gone. So's my desire to go to a McDonald's...upscale or not.


Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment