Sunday, April 11, 2010

STOLEN CREDIT CARDS

Stolen credit cards. It happens every day. And then comes the frustration of notifying the credit card company...getting cards to replace the stolen ones...wondering what got charged before you got a chance to cancel them...what you might be responsible for...

Years ago, someone stole one of our credit cards. A few days later when I realized it, and some other things, were missing...I got 'on-line' to see if there were any charges on it that I didn't recognize. Sure 'nuf...there were. There was a $400 charge at an electronics store...a meal at a chain restaurant...and another purchase that I have forgotten over the years.

I notified the police...called the credit card company...and personally went to the electronics store and restaurant.

I spoke to the salesperson and the waitress who was involved...but got no specific help. Unfortunately, they didn't have video cameras. I have a feeling...to this day...that I know who did it...but have no proof. The detectives were unable to find anything conclusive either. My guess is...they had bigger fish to fry.

The credit card company issued me a new card. They wrote off the cost of the purchases so I did not have to pay for them.

Can you imagine the amount of money that all the credit card companies write off every day...in situations like these?

One lesson learned by me...I am on-line 3-4 times a week to look at my credit card statements to make sure that the charges I see...are mine. I've turned into a real 'credit card bill checking nerd'.

But it's what you have to do now days to stay ahead...or more likely...not get too far behind.


Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment