Thursday, July 1, 2010

HIGHWAY 41

I've been 'google mapping' lately to see if I can find a place for Cindy and I to take a weekend getaway. In the process, I ran across Highway 41 on the map...and I got a 'Bucket List' idea.

Highway 41 holds a little interest to me, in that, in my younger years in Vincennes, it was the street in front of where I lived.

Anyone who has read my immensely popular book, 'My Life, As I Recall', remembers that we moved to Vincennes in the summer of 1962. My dad took a job at the Restwell Motel. At that time, US Hwy 41 ran through the city portion of Vincennes, not around it, as it does today. There were a multitude of motels and hotels along the route from the south edge of town to the north...as travelers passing through Vincennes could pull over to spend the night at a motel.

Across the street from the Restwell Motel, was the Kum-Back Inn. Within a mile to the south was the Rainbow Motel and Doll's Motel and the Motor Inn (I think it was called). To the north, just a few blocks, was the City Hotel...and there were a multitude of others.

The city 'thrived' on the traffic passing through its' heart.

Around 1964, the 'bypass' of US 41 was completed and traffic was diverted 'around' Vincennes rather than through its heart...and...in my opinion...thus began the death of Vincennes. The owner of the Restwell Motel was a shrewd businessman and prepared for it. He converted the motel to the Restwell Nursing Home. A few years later, he sold it to a larger nursing home chain, and walked away with millions. Now known as Willow Manor...it is still in business 45 years later. There are now a few 'chain' motels on the north and south of Vincennes, where there are exits from the bypass...but the other motels from that time of the early-to-mid '60s...are long gone.

In the late 60's, my brother, Durward, moved to Atlanta from Houston, when he accepted a promotion with Gulf Oil. Dad and I traveled one summer to visit Durward and family...and I recall the letter Durward sent to dad, with the instructions on what roads to take to get to Atlanta. It basically consisted of taking Hwy 41 almost all the way. I recall going through Clarksville, Tennessee (how can a 'Clark' not remember going through a city with 'his' name in 'its' name?) I also remember going through downtown Nashville...and how HUGE it was...all on Hwy 41.

Anyway, that's my recollection of US Hwy 41 and my interest in it. So...while I was googling...I followed 41 from Vincennes to the north...and found that it travels all the way up to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan...where it originates as Mandan Road in a tip of land next to Lake Superior.

The 'nerd' in me then needed to follow it south where it ends in Miami. I then recalled dad mentioning that 'it' ran from Chicago to Florida. Well...it goes 'way past' Chicago...to the length of Florida.

Then I got to thinking...what a great Bucket List item. When Cindy and I have 'weeks' to do so...I want to get her and I into a 'convertible'...drive up to the Upper Peninsula...find the beginning of Hwy 41...and drive on it until it runs out...in Miami. We'll stop when we want to stop...I'm sure she'll find a 'shop or 10' to stop at...I'll bet there are some fascinating places to take some pictures...we'll probably find some great hole-in-the-wall places to eat...and probably hear some interesting stories from any 'old timers' we meet along the way.

Anyone wanna tag along?


Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment