Tuesday, July 27, 2010

MY FIRST CAR

On the way to work this morning, I heard again a Bob & Tom commercial segment about 'your first car'. Readers/listeners are to write in about their first car...which usually was a piece of junk...but seems to recall happy memories for most folks.

Mine was no different.

My first car was a 1961 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88. I got it for $300 (of which my dad paid $150). It was 'way' to much car for me (looking back now...but not then of course). It had a big engine, could seat 12...alright...maybe not that many...but you know how BIG it was.

I put 75 miles on it the first night...just driving around Vincennes. It had 4 old, balding tires on it...two of which had those REAL WIDE white walls on them.

The turn signal worked...but didn't turn off automatically, so after I turned a corner, I had to remember to turn the blinker off or I looked like the old man with his signal on for a couple of miles before I remembered.

The heater worked...in the summer...didn't work well in the winter. The brake lights worked MOST of the time.

I drove it too fast and too dangerously...and THANK GOD...I and the friends who rode with me...lived through it.

It was a GREAT first car.


Dan

1 comment:

  1. I have so much crazy about the car but i will buy the car from your good collection.I can get a money when i will sell it.
    --------

    Sell Junk Car

    ReplyDelete