Thursday, December 23, 2010

CHRISTMAS IN THE BIG CHURCH

Reading a headline today...took me back to the Christmas of 1961. I don't even remember the article now...it just took my mind back to the little church in Owensville...in my growin' up years.

I remember being in the sanctuary of General Baptist Church on the corner of Brummitt and Mill Streets, in downtown Owensville. That was our home church...the only church I remember attending. And on one evening around Christmas, I recall a sanctuary full of people...and Santa getting presents out from under the tree at the front of the church...and he found one under there with my name on it and brought it to me. As I recall...all the little kids...like me...had a gift under the tree that Santa gave to them. I think the gift ended up being a coloring book and crayons...but in those times...that was an okay gift for me.

I don't remember getting the number of gifts back then...like my kids and grandkids do now...because we didn't. Two or three gifts was about all dad could afford back then. My wife...ever since I've been with her...goes crazy at Christmas...and I love her for it. But my kids and grandkids would wander what they did wrong...if they only saw 3 gifts under the tree!

But back to General Baptist...like many things...what I see now and what I saw then...differ greatly. Our house in Owensville was big THEN. With today's eyes...I bet it wasn't 600 square feet inside. General Baptist was huge...THEN. Now...I see it with about 8 rows of pews in 3 sections.

No matter the size...nearly 50 years later...the BIG little house has great memories...and the BIG little church...does too.


Dan

1 comment: