Saturday, December 11, 2010

DON'T OPEN 'TIL CHRISTMAS

Last night...Jaime & Shawn took the 3 grandkids out to look at Christmas lights. That allowed two of the remaining 'Santas helpers' left at the house to get some wrapping done.

Most of the things that were wrapped are hidden in places throughout the house...but one gift for each member of the family...10 of them...were placed under the Christmas tree.

This morning...just Cindy & I were awake...reading the paper in the living room with the tree...and Mason came in to snuggle and tell us about all the lights and Christmas'y stuff he saw last night. Eventually...he stopped in mid-sentence as he saw the gifts under the tree...left there by Santa's helpers.

He crawled under the tree to read whose gifts were there...and realized there was one for every family member. Then he pulled his out from under the tree and looked at it...felt how heavy it was...ran his fingers over the paper (probably hoping that it would miraculously tear open so he could see more contents).

Finally...I had to tell him to put it back...that it was left under the tree for a reason...that he had a few weeks before he could open it. He slid it back under the tree...much to his displeasure.

I was reminded of a younger time in my life...when I was alone at home around Christmas...and there were 3 or 4 gifts under the tree with my name on them. Knowing I had some time before someone would be home to catch me...I carefully lifted the tape off...then carefully unwrapped...then carefully opened the box enough to peek at what was inside. Then when I was done...I carefully taped the wrapping paper back in place and put the gifts back under the tree. No one was the wiser.

WORST CHRISTMAS I EVER HAD!!

On Christmas morning...as we unwrapped...I had no excitement...no thrill of wondering what was in each box as I unwrapped them. I already knew.

Part of the fun of Christmas...is that instant when the unopened gift is in your lap...and you WONDER what's in it...but don't know yet.

Never again...have I wanted to look...in advance...at what I was getting on Christmas. It would all come-and-go too quickly as it is. Thank you...I'll just wait 'til Christmas morning.


Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment