Thursday, December 9, 2010

THE NEW CHILD

I spoke with an acquaintance today whom I haven't seen in a few weeks. He and his wife had a new daughter several months ago...just before my surgery...I think.

I asked how the newest member of the family was doing. This is his third daughter...just like I have...except my youngest is in her 20's and his...is months old.

He said this one is quite different than the others. The first two were easy. His oldest is very smart. His middle child is the lover and must hug and kiss everyone...including the dog...before bedtime. The newest is...different.

She seems to require lots of attention...rocking...holding...feeding...and lots of talking to. Apparently...in a recent late night rocking encounter...dad whispered to the new one that 'she was not endearing herself to him' with all these antics.

I didn't have the heart to say...these are the good times. Enjoy them while you can.


Dan

1 comment:

  1. You are so right!
    I tell parents all the time - right now every problem can be solved with a cuddle, a cookie or a nap - or all three - the problems will be much harder to solve some day.
    I love reading what you have to say - thanks for writing.

    ReplyDelete