Tuesday, December 15, 2009

ADVANCING TV

An article in the Washington Post caught my eye today. It took me back to my early years.

I imagine part of the reason for increased TV viewership today is due to our current economic climate. Many of us are pinching our pennies and rather than going out to do something (ie. which might cost some money), we stay home and flip on the TV (ie. which doesn't cost anything...at least no more than we normally spend).

This article made me realize the amazing transformation of TV in my lifetime.

We got our first TV when I was 6 years old. Before then, I remember going to the neighbors (the Presnells) on Saturday mornings to watch cartoons.

That first TV was a 'black and white'. My guess would be that it was maybe a 15" screen. Color TVs were rare at that time, and very few color programs were being shown on TV anyway. I think maybe Bonanza or Walt Disney were some of the early color shows. The announcer would come on to say, "brought to you in living color..."

Our TV picked up 2 stations reasonably well, and a 3rd one not as well. You had to watch through the 'snow' many times.

I doubt my children have seen a black and white TV. I'm sure they haven't known of the TV programs stopping at late night and then signing back on the next morning. And they couldn't survive with only 2 channels to pick from! And only 1 TV in the entire house? Are you kidding me?!

As the article in the Post is implying, the not-to-distant future will have us getting our TV over the Internet...which means my kids with iPhones will be watching their TV shows on their phones...from anywhere they're located.

So, rather than trying to move the rabbit ears (my kids probably don't know what those are either) to bring in 1 of those 2 channels...they'll flip on their phone and surf the hundreds of channel options to watch their favorite show.

Ain't technology fascinating?

PS. I don't remember too many 'FAT' kids when I was little. Maybe that's because we didn't have all the TV options known today. Rather, we got outside and played.

Maybe there's a downside to that fascinating technology. Maybe the kids need to pick up their iPhone and watch their show if they want...but do it while they walk around the block.


Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment