Wednesday, December 16, 2009

I'LL BE HOME FOR CHRISTMAS

At this time of year, it's hard to listen to a radio station, or visit a business, and not hear a Christmas song being played. Most of us enjoy hearing them to help us get in the spirit of the holiday.

Every time I hear the song, I'll be home for Christmas, I am touched by the simple lyrics and reminded of their meaning.

I'll be home for Christmas
you can plan on me
please have snow and mistletoe
and presents on the tree

Christmas Eve will find me
where the lovelight gleams
I'll be home for Christmas
if only in my dreams

The song has been recorded by a number of great artists over the years, including Perry Como and Frank Sinatra, but the singer most of us connect with the song is Bing Crosby. His version was recorded in late 1943. The next year, the song grew in popularity as America became involved in WWII. The lyrics seem to share the raw emotions of soldiers away at war, trying to not let their families worry about them, but wishing to be home with their loved ones.

You can almost see a soldier, hunkered down, scribbling a note on a piece of paper to be mailed back home. These words jump out from the letter...

...I'll be home for Christmas...if only in my dreams.

Many a tear has been shed as a mom back home thought of her son away in a foreign land, facing unimaginable terror...dad worrying for his son or daughter...a brother or sister missing their sibling. Christmas time will just not be the same without them there!

Hearing the words of that song, surely led those family members to bow their head to pray for their soldiers' safety and their quick return home.

Those words and feelings had to be equally heartfelt in following years as soldiers were away for the Korean Conflict, and again in Vietnam.

And now...for those soldiers who are fighting today's war.

Sixty-five years later...those tears are still shed...those prayers are still prayed.

May they all be safe this Christmas and return home soon...to share the wonderful meaning of Christmas with their loved ones.


Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment