Monday, December 28, 2009

DUMB PHONE

With today's new 'lingo' and reading an article about smart phones, I just realized I am in the category of 'owner of a dumb phone'. I mean, if it ain't a 'smart phone', it must be a 'dumb phone'.

Sixty-percent (60%) of my kids (I include my sons-in-laws as 'my' kids) own smart phones. Hey they're young...it's the thing to do...everybody else is...why not?

Cindy & I are among the 'dumb phone' owners of the group.

You know what I'm talking about...right? The iPhone, Blackberry, Palm Pre, Cliq, Droid...all versions of 'smart phones', ie. phones that do more than be used as phones.

From the humongous computers of years ago that filled an entire room -to desktops - to laptops...you can now have the power of a computer...literally...in the palm of your hand.

I first saw one this summer at our family reunion. As an opening get-to-know-you-game, I handed out a game with 20+ questions on it. As everyone else struggled to figure out the answers, my great-nephew, Andrew, plugged the questions into his iPhone, and the answers were spitting out faster than he could enter the question. Soon, he was the 'hit' of the party as all the young kids were copying his answers that he found on that 'computer in the palm of his hand'.

Later, after the reunion, the 60% of our kids that I mentioned, got theirs. They have since used them to an unbelievable advantage...including GPS systems to get us to a wedding...check their Facebook account with it...check on email on their work computers...and 'oh by the way'......it can be used as a PHONE !!

If it has a downfall to me, it is that my kids are so tempted with the gadget, they are 'always' on it. It's like an extension of their hand. Every few minutes...they check to see if their friends have texted...Facebooked...or emailed them. It's like they have no 'free time' of their own, because they are always 'on' their phones.

You know, someday I'll probably break down and get one. But for now, I'm gonna play 'dumb'.


Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment