Friday, December 11, 2009

FROZEN TONGUE

I mentioned in a recent blog that we watched the movie 'Christmas Story' last weekend. One of the scenes from the movie is when the boys argue about your tongue sticking to a metal pole when the temperature is cold enough. One of them tried it and sure enough...it stuck.

Recent news shows that this trick has to be retested each winter...somewhere.

I recall when I performed this trick...in the dead of summer at about 6 years old. We had an old refridgerator, like everyone in those days, that had to be defrosted when ice built up around the freezer. Along with the ice around the freezer section, ours had a metal door covering the freezer.

One hot day, thinking I could lick the ice off the metal door to cool down, I stuck my tongue on the metal door to take a lick. Unfortunately, there was no licking...because my tongue stuck to the metal door.

With no one else home and not knowing what else to do...I PULLED my tongue off...leaving the top layer of it stuck to the freezer.

After some pressure with a wet washcloth, the bleeding stopped.

The lesson was learned. I would NEVER do that again.

I guess we all have to 'try' a few crazy things as we grow up. That was one of mine!


Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment