Friday, May 21, 2010

OLD WORDS...NEW MEANING

In my recent 'rummaging' through papers in search of something...I found an old article from 1987. I guess I thought they were interesting words then and I've kept it hidden away all these years.

I was 33 years old when I found them. My dad had died from cancer the year before, and I guess the words touched me in some way. That was nearly 25 years ago.

The article came from Leo Buscaglia. Leo was a very entertaining article writer. I had seen him on TV talk shows back in those days and I thought he was a gifted writer and story teller. He could relate a story in a way that could make you laugh...and cry...in a matter of a few words.

This writing from Leo starts like this..."I found this story in the Journal of Humanistic Psychology. It was written by an 85-year old man, who learned he was dying. Here's what the man wrote..."

If I had my life to live over again, I'd try to make more mistakes next time. I wouldn't try to be so perfect. We all have perfection fetishes. What difference does it make if you let people know you are imperfect? They can identify with you then. Nobody can identify with perfection.

I would relax more. I'd limber up. I'd be sillier than I've been on this trip. In fact, I know very few things that I would take so seriously. I'd be crazier. I'd be less hygienic.

I'd take more chances. I'd take more trips. I'd climb more mountains. I'd swim more rivers. I'd watch more sunsets. I'd go more places I've never been to. I'd eat more ice cream and fewer beans. We really revel in denying ourselves. It seems to be a self-punishment kind of thing. Certainly we can't do everything we want to, but occasionally we need to do something wild.

I'd have more actual troubles and fewer imaginary ones. Ninety percent of what we worry about never happens anyway, yet we go right on worrying about everything. That's why insurance companies in America are the wealthiest companies of all. They insure us against everything.

You see, I was one of those people who live prophylactically and sensibly and sanely hour after hour and day after day.

Oh, I've had my moments and if I had it to do all over again, I'd have more of those moments. In fact, I'd try to have nothing but beautiful moments...moment by moment by moment. In case you don't know it, that's the stuff that life is made of. Only moments. Don't miss the now.

I've been one of those people who never went anywhere without a thermometer, a hot water bottle, a gargle, a raincoat and a parachute. If I had it to do all over again, I'd travel lighter next time.

If I had it to do all over again, I'd start barefoot earlier in the spring and stay that way later in the fall. I'd ride more merry-go-rounds. I'd watch more sunrises, and I'd play with more children, if I had my life to live over again.

But you see, I don't.

Neither you nor I know what is beyond, but we do know what is here. This is Gods gift to you and how you use it is your gift to God.

I thought Leo...and the gentleman to whom he referenced...had some interesting words to share. Now that I'm a little older than I was when I first read these words...I'm finding more truth in them.


Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment