Tuesday, September 7, 2010

ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM

I've been rolling around a topic for the last 6 weeks but, thus far, have chosen not to write about it. I've been walking around it...like that elephant in the room that everyone tries to ignore. But I thought about it some more this weekend and decided I 'do' need to write about it. Not for myself...but maybe for some of my readers...or someone my readers know...that may benefit from the information.

I want, and ask for, no sympathy. I'm not telling this story for sympathy. I don't want to be treated differently. I don't want pity. I just want you, or those you love, to know it can happen and to do something about it if it does.

I have cancer.

In June, I had to have an annual checkup with my urologist. He had me perform another PSA lab test. Over the last 10-15 years, my PSA had always hovered around 1.0. But over the last few years, it has slowly crept from 1.0 to 2.0 to 3.0 to nearly 4.0 When it hit 4 last year, I had a prostate biopsy that was determined to be negative for cancer. But with a strong family history for cancer, I was to return in a year for another PSA.

Well, the year was up, and I repeated my PSA. My PSA level was again high, which resulted in another test being performed...a PCA3+. In English, there is a prostate enzyme that is expressed in your urine. When they check the urine, the prostate antigen should be at a specific level. My results came back and the level was high...indicating a strong likelihood for cancer. My doctor told me the next step was to have another prostate biopsy.

The biopsy was performed in mid-June...and Cindy & I had a 2 week wait for results. At the end of June, we met with my urologist, and he told us the news I wasn't expecting to hear...at least not on that day... 'You have prostate cancer.'

Prostate cancer in men is common. Some physicians will go so far as to say...if a man lives long enough, he will eventually get prostate cancer.

My dad had prostate cancer, found at about age 70. He died from it at age 76.

I'm 56.

My dad's was found too late. Mine was found early.

Cindy & I met with a surgeon in Indianapolis in mid-August. We discussed what options were out there for me, and the one we chose...was to have surgery...to remove the prostate.

Before the surgery, I had a bone scan performed, which looks to see if the cancer has spread to involve the bones. My scan wasn't totally normal...but not terribly abnormal either.

My surgery, a prostatectomy, is scheduled the end of this month, September. I am taking the month of October off from work, to recover and gain some body functions back that I will lose from the surgery.

I'm not looking forward to the surgery...I'm not looking forward to the recovery that will result...

...but 'I am looking forward.'

I expect the surgery to be successful and totally remove the cancer from my body. I expect to fully recover my body functions to the point prior to surgery. I expect the future tests that I will undergo to be negative...with no signs of cancer's return.

I expect all of you...to have yourself checked...or your loved ones checked. Keep your health. Help and encourage them to keep their health.

If something is found...let it be at an early stage...because you were pro-active.

I'm planning on that being the case for me.

The elephant has left the room.


Dan

2 comments:

  1. I've never really liked elephants. Dan - you are an amazing man and your passion for life has always inspired me. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Lisa said it all. My prayers are with you my brother. Hope to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete