Sunday, August 22, 2010

THE LAST DAYS

Today represents the last day of freedom for my 3 grandchildren. Tomorrow...they will head down the street to the elementary school 2 blocks from our house to begin another school year.

Friday...we attended the open house to take in their school supplies, find their rooms and meet their teachers. Anna & Mason will be in the 3rd grade...but in different rooms. Owen will be in the 1st grade.

I well remember those years at their age...when I so enjoyed the first day out of school with 'all' of summer ahead of me. Amazingly...those summer days 'flew' by...and before I knew it...it was the last day of freedom for me...and time to head back to school.

But it wasn't 'so' bad. I sure enjoyed my summers...but it was also kinda fun to get back into the groove of school and seeing all my friends I missed over the summer...and finding new ones I'd never met before.

Cindy & I are lucky grandparents...having all 3 grandkids living under the same roof with us. That won't last forever...in fact this may very well be the last year it will happen. Opportunities will eventually come for our children that will allow them to move out of our house...and take the grandchildren with them. If it does...that's okay because that's the way it's supposed to be. If it doesn't...that's okay because we've been really blessed helping the kids and watching our grandchildren grow.

Until that last day comes...we'll enjoy 'the summer feeling' in front of us. It'll end soon enough...probably way too soon.


Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment