Monday, November 8, 2010

MONOPOLY

The board game of Monopoly...has been around for 75 years...at least the version that 'we' are all familiar with.

There's really quite an interesting story that can be read about how this game came about and who really invented it.

I just remember as a youngster, my friend Mike and I would play entire weekends. We'd play into the wee hours of the morning...go to bed...and resume again when we woke up.

When Mike, or someone else, wasn't around...I'd play by myself. I'd sit on one side of the board and I'd play for the 3 'pretend' guys on the other sides. I'd be the banker...the deed watcher...house and hotel distributor...the dice roller...I did it all.

I was easily entertained. But I had fun...and stayed out of trouble.

Like my article about baseball cards and comics the other day...I've owned several versions of Monopoly. Sounds like the 'new' versions don't even have money these days...it's all done on a computer chip. The last one I owned...the houses and hotels were plastic.

I swear that first one we had...the houses and hotels were made of wood. Oh...to still have that version. Probably worth some real cash today.


Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment