Thursday, June 16, 2011

GOOD NEWS...IN BAD TIMES

I was happy to talk to a co-worker last night...to get good news. But that didn't make the bad news...better. Or did it?

I heard on the news last night that a Muncie firefighter lost his life fighting a blaze earlier in the day. My co-workers dad...has been a firefighter in Muncie for most of his life. I called Staci to make sure her dad wasn't the one involved. Just the way she answered the phone...told me it wasn't her dad. But at the time...she didn't know who it was...just that it wasn't her pop.

But Staci has grown up around the fire station all of her life...and my guess today is that...even with the happiness of her dad not being involved...I bet she knew the man who died. I'm betting too...Staci's dad is heartbroken...at the loss of a brother fire fighter...and a friend.

That CAN'T...make us bad people...when we're happy...that a tragedy didn't involve our loved ones.

I guess we just have to count our blessings...and then provide whatever comfort we can...however we can...to the one who didn't...get good news.


Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment