Monday, June 27, 2011

WILL MY OLD THOUGHTS...BECOME LOST THOUGHTS?

Being in the medical profession...you run into elderly patients who are obviously into...or approaching...senility. Some have little-to-no idea of who they are...or where they are. In those times I often wonder if their family members are struggling to 'let them go'...because their loved one sure doesn't seem to be having a good 'quality' of life.

Seeing many of those occurrences in my 35 years in the business...I've often feared and hoped that one day...that won't be me...the crotchety old man...cussin' up a storm...not aware of who he is...or what he's doing or saying.

Last week, I saw that Glen Campbell has gone public to say that he is suffering from Alzheimer's disease. His plans are to have a farewell tour where he can thank his fans and...I assume...to educate his audience about this disease that affects millions. I wonder if the tour will be a short one...as it sounds as if he has frequent days where he doesn't know the simplest of tasks...let alone recall words to songs and play notes on a guitar...often at the same time.

I have days...now...as many of us do probably...where we can't recall some of the simple things we've done a thousand times. I...teasingly say...my Alzheimer's is kicking in. I hope that my poor attempt at humor doesn't come to fruition some day.


Dan

1 comment:

  1. Well, you've hit upon a worry. I recall not remembering things when I was younger, but it didn't seem to bother me as much as it does now.

    ReplyDelete