Thursday, June 30, 2011

UP THE ANTE

One of the card games I enjoy playing is Texas Hold 'Em Poker. It's a game that has grown in popularity over the years with games to attend in your own town...in your friends homes...even on the internet.

The basis of the game is that a group of players invest a set amount of money and in turn receive a sum of chips to bet while playing poker. For guys like me...and my friends...that initial investment might be $10...or $20. If 10 guys play...that's $200 if each invests $20. The winner might get 1/2 the pot with the second and third place players splitting the rest. For me...it's just a fun night with the guys (and sometimes gals) whether I win or lose...which most of the time...is the latter.

I saw recently where a few Hollywood guys have made the headlines because they were playing with 'serious' money...like tens-of-thousands...to hundreds-of-thousands of dollars. I guess it's all relative...as some of those guys make millions of dollars a year...so maybe $10,000 to them...might seem like $10 to me.

Anyway...these guys have been told they might want to 'cool it'. Throwing that kinda money around might encourage some 'seedy' people getting into their lives.

They won't have to be warning me. My $20 bucks isn't gonna attract too bad a crowd.


Dan

1 comment:

  1. Poker. Brady plays too and is always telling me something about it when he is here.
    This blog made me think of the diversity of those who play....
    I recently met a young man in his mid 20's who goes to my church. He graduated a couple of years ago from the University of Texas with a degree in Literature....he reads everything US, British, historical, modern and he is so fun to discuss books with. He is on the college staff and works about 25 hours a week practically serving with the pastor of the college students who attend our church. He gets paid a small stipend per month - $500 I think. I just knew him slightly until he was 'assigned' to me a few weeks ago to assist me in a project. (I am soon to be the oldest pastoral staff member and the only female.) He seemed a little slow to warm up to me as we chatted while we worked and it dawned on me that he was avoiding answering some of my 'get to know you' questions. Finally I backed him in a verbal corner and it came out that he gambles for a living...playing poker and other on line sporty things - all legal...and he is really good at it! He didn't want to tell me for fear of older person judgement or something. I just want him to teach me how!

    ReplyDelete