Saturday, June 18, 2011

LEARNING TO DRIVE

Cindy & I both took driving lessons from one of the old school teachers...when we began driving...decades ago. His name was Mr. Archer...and he was our science teacher in 8th grade. Like many school teachers...he had to have a side job...or two...to make ends meet...and for him...one of his side jobs was giving private driving lessons.

Mr. Archer taught us many things...and occasionally Cindy & I mention them...when some other driver is not doing things...the way Mr. Archer taught us.

An article I just saw in AARP made me think of him. This article was started by an author...who apparently asked people what things they do to save gas. One of the recent responses...that caught my eye...was someone who said their daddy taught them to pretend they had a raw egg under their foot when they stepped on the gas pedal or the brake. Doing that...prevents jackrabbit starts and stops...which are real 'gas wasters'.

Mr. Archer taught us that same method. I see drivers every day that I think to myself...they didn't have Mr. Archer for their instructor. Those drivers seem to think that if the speed limit is 40...they must get their car up to that speed as quickly as possible. Meanwhile...I ease on the pedal and gradually work my way up to 40.

When I giggle to myself...is when I catch that same car...at the next stoplight...because all they did...was get to the stoplight sooner than I did.

Many drivers don't know how to use turn signals...or how to pull over as close to the center line as you can when you are turning left...so cars behind you can get around on the right...rather than stopping in the middle of the lane...and all the cars line up behind you waiting for you to turn left. It's on those occasions that Cindy & I will mention...they didn't take lessons from Mr. Archer...did they?

Good old Mr. Archer. I think he'd be proud of how well Cindy & I learned good driving lessons from him...and recall him fondly.


Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment