Wednesday, January 20, 2010

BROTHERS

I am one of 4 sons of my parents...the youngest. My oldest brother is Durward.

Today is Durwards' 77th birthday.

Unfortunately...Durward died almost 40 years ago.

I was 16 years old...a sophomore in high school.

He was an executive with Gulf Oil Company, a young rising star...working full time during the day and attending night school to get his law degree. One night, on his way home, an object in the road either ran under the car causing it to lose control, or else Durward swerved the car at the last second to dodge the object, and lost control...

He was 37 years young...and left a wife and 3 young children.

If you do the math...Durward was 21 years old when I was born. He had graduated high school, and was serving in the Navy during the Korean War...before I was born. Before I was old enough to have memories of him...he was married with 3 kids. By the time I was mature enough to have a conversation of any significance with him...he had moved through the Gulf organization, from Ohio-to Texas-to Georgia. And there would have been more, but...

I wish I had had some time to share with my brother...to tell him of my problems...my dreams...to get advice from him. He had already 'been'...where I was just beginning to 'go'. I would have liked to have him as a mentor.

Some years ago...I had a dream in which I walked up to the house where I grew up. I was a grown man in the dream. In the window of the house, I saw my dad and Durward. He was still the age that I recall last seeing him.

We grabbed each other and hugged...and hugged. Two grown men...enjoying the moment. I kept repeating..."my man"..."my man".

It was a great dream. It'll have to do...for now.


Dan

2 comments:

  1. Very good post. Perhaps a preface would do, though, saying:

    Caution: The images may be hard to take.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very touching dad. You are such a great man and I am so proud to call you my dad.

    ReplyDelete