Sunday, January 24, 2010

COMMON SENSE...TO WHO?

Smokers with cancer should quit smoking.
Overweight people who want to lose weight should start eating less.
Complainers of cold weather should not live where there is cold weather.
* * * * *
For most of us...those seem like common sense statements. But to people who might fall into those categories, it isn't that easy. For those who have smoked all their life, it is so much of their life, their psyche, their habit...it just isn't that simple.

This article states there is reason to believe that those diagnosed with lung cancer, have a better chance to survive...longer, if they stop their smoking.

As someone in the medical profession, daily, I perform tests on patients who I can smell the smoke on their clothing...patients who are coming to see us for testing to diagnose their cancer. "Is it spread elsewhere in the body? How bad is it? I want to know...but don't ask me to stop smoking."

For me, it's only common sense that they should stop. But they don't, and likely won't.

I want my family members who smoke...to stop. But they likely won't. They don't have cancer, and hopefully they won't be diagnosed with it, but I believe they will be healthier if they do. But they enjoy smoking...so they won't.

I don't press the issue. I have my own problems that I haven't solved yet. And if I don't want them on 'my back' to tell me what to do...and how I should solve my problems...I'll stay off theirs.


Dan

1 comment:

  1. Ha! Now this is a new way to say "stop smoking" without really saying it.

    ReplyDelete