Thursday, January 21, 2010

I WISH...

The author of this article realized she could do the 'modern' day things...like programming her iPod, or running the remote on her TV and DVD player...but she couldn't sew a button on a blouse.

It made me think of my own life...what I know I can't do...but wish I could.

Reasonably often, I need to do something around the house...that I have no idea 'how' to do it. It's at those times that I frequently...think of my dad...and I regret not taking the time to ask him to teach me 'how he did that'.

Dad was so good at most all things. Any plumbing issue could be fixed by him. He knew plants and flowers and vegetables, always having a 'good' and 'beautiful' garden. He could sharpen mower blades. He could replace broken glass in windows and doors. Patch leaky basketballs. Fix the best peach cobbler and Swiss steak. He knew 'home remedies' for earaches and bellyaches. He used iodine and methiolate on scratches and cuts. He could patch a roof. If he didn't know it...he could 'reason' it out and come up with the answer for the fix. He had muscles solid as rocks...hands of a hard working man...patience of Job...and a heart of gold.

Dads' generation was from the depression. There was little money to go around...so if something broke...he fixed it, or we just went without it. Only if it was something we 'had' to have for our daily survival, did he replace it. Even then, it was always replaced by something 'used' that he was able to get from someone else. I can't think of 'ever' having anything 'NEW' at our house. Dad was a firm believer that you never bought anything until you had the money in hand to do so. There 'were' no credit cards. Your 'word' was your credit...and it was very valuable to dad. He kept his word...at all cost. If he did have to use 'his credit'...he worked 'harder' than he already worked, to pay back the credit as quickly as he could.

My generation is different. I make more money in one year than dad probably made in 10. If something's broke...I buy a new one. If I don't have the money...I whip out the credit card. If I can't fix something, I try to think of who to call to come fix it. Many, many times...I regret not taking the time to ask dad..."how'd you do that?"

How is my children's generation? I see them...more like me, and the author of the above article...than my dad.

When my wife is making her 'best in the world' pie crust, I think of my girls who, to my knowledge, have never asked her how she makes it. When Cindy is making her 'best in the world' cookies, I think how much my kids and grandkids are going to miss them when she's not there to make them anymore. Their comments are going to be..."dad always said how good moms' pie crust and cookies were...and he was right. I wish I had asked her how she did it."

Sound familiar? Were there some things you remember of your parents, or grandparents, that you'd give anything to have them here one more time...to show you how they did that?

Take a few minutes out of your busy day and think of someone, who is still with us, who can do something well...that you wish you knew how to do. Make it a point to find out how...before it's too late...and you have to read about it in a book.

Guaranteed...if you have to read it from a book...it won't be as good as you remember.


Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment