Sunday, January 10, 2010

THE GREAT RECESSION

My dad was a survivor of the Great Depression. Mom and dad were married in July 1929. At the suggestion of a friend, they went to work in Michigan at the Buick car plant that July. Dad was making good money, for hard work. But three months later, in October, the Stock Market crashed, sending Michigan, the United States and the world into a financial downfall.

Dad, and everyone who lived at that time, never forgot the hard times to follow. My brothers, sisters and I were reminded of those times...often. Anything 'brand new' was rare. Most things were handed down. There was never much 'extra'.

Maybe I became a tightwad (see prior blogs) because of those conversations from dad. My life was certainly influenced by my dad and his life affected by the Depression.

Today, we are in the midst of what some have termed 'the Great Recession'. Families across the globe are affected by these times. What will be the lessons learned? How will the children of today be affected as they grow up? Will they too...become 'tight wads' like me? Not that I think that's a BAD thing !

Here's one impression. See for yourself.

Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment