Friday, January 29, 2010

MOTH BALLS

This article took me back to my youth. I think one of the 'smells' from my childhood, is one that my kids have never smelled.

Moth Balls.

What are moth balls? They about the size of plump grapes and white. They look like a little ball of sugar or salt. The purpose of moth balls are to kill the larvae of moths. When the moths' eggs hatch, they are ravenous and begin eating anything and everything for those few days after hatching. They particularly love wool clothing.

In years long ago, when wool clothing was put away in storage, people would put moth balls in among the clothing. Apparently the smell kills the larvae. You know it didn't do any good, when you open up the closet when you wish to put the clothing on, and there are little holes in the clothes, like Swiss cheese.

Unfortunately, the smell that kills the larvae also seems to cling to the clothing so when the person puts the clothes on...the smell of the moth balls stays with them.

I can't say I've smelled 'that smell' for quite some time. I don't know if my kids have 'ever' smelled it. But if someone walked into the room wearing clothing that'd been stored in moth balls...I'd know it in a second.

It's something you don't forget...and it'll catch your attention.


Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment