Sunday, January 17, 2010

OLD MEMORIES

I saw this headline and it reminded me of days gone by...actually years gone by...nearly 38 years to be exact.

In the summer of '72, I had gotten out of high school, had a 1 day job that I knew I wouldn't survive if I went back a 2nd day...but needed work. I had two options...both in Atlanta, Georgia.

Option one...was to work for my brother-in-law (by marriage) who was in home construction. It was grunt work. I wouldn't be learning a trade, just doing odd jobs to help the guys who knew what they were doing. I would be paid $2 an hour.

Option two...was to go to Six Flags over Georgia and apply for work there. I had no idea if they were even hiring, what I'd do if I did get a job, what the hours were or what my hourly wage would be. It was just a 'maybe' that they'd be hiring.

I was 18, needed some money and wanted a job.

I didn't go for the Six Flags job. I wonder, now, if there were any jobs anyway. If they are applying for jobs in January, for work that will start this summer, then I would be a little late looking for work after they were already open for business in June.

No...I worked at the home construction. I had fun working with my nephews, Brady and Tim, and meeting another young man, Mike, who was my nephew's neighbor. The four of us had a good time, working in the summer heat of Georgia.

I still see Brady every year or so. Tim now lives in Australia and it's been a number of years since I've seen him. Mike, I believe, went on to become a doctor. I haven't seen him since that summer.

Six Flags...sounded like fun. Grunt work in construction...became a reality.


Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment