Monday, February 8, 2010

ADVOCATE UNDER ATTACK

One of the challenges I face...sometimes once a day...is doing an exam on a patient whom I wonder if they 'really' need the test. Sometimes I ask myself..."okay...what if I 'do' find something...are they really going to do anything about it?"

Rarely...when I feel there is a real injustice being done...I review the request with the radiologist and, once in a while, they'll call the ordering doctor to suggest changes or verify what they are really after...but sometimes we just go ahead with the requested study...just because we know they won't listen.

I'm proud to work with some nurses who have the backbone to stand up to the ordering doctors when they feel that the doctor is not doing the necessary things for the patient. That's one of their many jobs...'patient advocate'.

Maybe all the details haven't been told in this article...but from what I read...the nurses were in the right...the doctor is in the wrong.

This will be a major decision by the jury...as it could mean the difference with the next nurse... 'standing up' for their patient...or keeping their job.

Brave people making brave decisions...need to be supported.


Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment