Saturday, October 23, 2010

CARNEGIE LIBRARIES

I read a short article today about Andrew Carnegie. The main topic of the article...was regarding the 'public libraries' that were built across the United States thanks to funding from Andrew Carnegie.

Between 1883 and 1929, Carnegie funded the construction of 1679 public libraries in almost every state of the United States...as well as over 650 in Great Britain and Ireland and another 125 in Canada.

In a rags-to-riches manner, the immigrant from Scotland worked his way from messenger boy to a communications executive to business strategist.

Carnegie reportedly spent some $70 million of his money...to build the libraries (this amount would translate into 'billions' in today's dollars).

My little hometown of Owensville...was one of those towns that accepted a grant from Carnegie...to build their library. Located in the center block of the downtown area, (much like court houses in larger towns of the state), it is still standing and still in use. (I hoped to attach a photo of the library here...but couldn't make it work. Good reporting...eh?)(Instead...I settled for a link, showing all the Carnegie libraries in Indiana.)

I remember going into that library as a little boy. Although it's probably been 10 years since I've been in it...I recall the good feeling I had when walking in that great building...in a great little town.

I'm sure there are things that people could find wrong with Andrew Carnegie...but I would have to give him credit for at least doing such a great thing for so many towns across the country.


Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment