Sunday, October 24, 2010

WORLD SERIES

My brother lives in San Francisco...and his local baseball team...the Giants...will play in this years World Series.

I believe I saw a commercial on TV that said the first game is scheduled for later this week...to begin at 730pm. Why does it start at 730pm? Because that's when the TV people say it will begin!

I assume EVERY game of the World Series...will be played in the evenings...so the TV company that is showing it...can get the largest audience possible.

That's a change from when I was a little guy. I remember the World Series being held in the afternoons...while I was in school. Night games?...we didn't need no stinking night games!!


I recall some of the bigger kids (6th graders) sneaking their transistor radios in to school with an earplug attached...in hopes they could listen to a few innings while they were pretending to study...hoping their teacher wouldn't notice.

My guess is...some of the men teachers...had their own radio tucked in one of their desk drawers...with an earplug attached that 'they' could listen to once in a while...hoping the students wouldn't get rowdy and interrupt the play-by-play.

Those were the days when the game was fun...and I enjoyed following it. Today...like all professional sports (heck...even college sports for that matter)...it's all changed. Teams are 'told' when they will play...and they'll 'like' it.

I'm glad my brothers' local team is playing...but I could personally care less WHO is playing...when they're playing...or on what channel.

In fact...whatever channel they'll be playing on...will be one that I WON'T be watching.


Dan

1 comment:

  1. Yep, it starts Wednesday night at 7:30 pm, Eastern Time, 4:30 pm Pacific Time. I'll probably watch it, but only because there will not likely be a better program on the other 249 channels! Which brings up a question totally unrelated to the subject. Why in hell do I pay for 250 t.v. channels that show nothing? Good question!

    ReplyDelete