Friday, October 15, 2010

AN IMPORTANT NUMBER

Yesterday, I mentioned...again...a little fascination I have with numbers. Well, today the number is 38.

Cindy & I started dating January 15, 1972. After graduation, I worked in Atlanta for the summer to save up some money and in the process bought her an engagement ring with the proceeds.

Having the weird fascination with numbers...even then...I happened to have a date the night of October 14, 1972 with Cindy. I took her home late (her family happened to be staying at the cabin at the lake) and we went in for a snack and a drink and to smooch and all that stuff...but I wouldn't leave. Everyone was asleep except us as we sat at the dining room table...talking quietly (whispering), holding hands...all that yucky stuff.

I think Cindy had to work the next morning, but I was just the 'thing that wouldn't leave'. Finally, after midnight...it obviously turned to October 15. That was 9 months from our first date...and I thought a good time to give her that ring.

Thirty-eight years ago.

Man...where does time go?


Dan

1 comment:

  1. I think your memory for dates and numbers is amazing. I have no memory for dates, and most of the time for names, unless they made a lasting impression on me. In fact, if you were born on any other date, I wouldn't remember it. But, one can't forget Jan 1st. I remember thoughts, ideas, concepts and events, but I couldn't tell you exactly when they happened. I remember one year where I had forgotten my own age, because my birthday is in the last month of the year. I would be a terrible witness to anything. If it weren't for you (and now Facebook), I would never know when to say happy birthday to anyone.

    ReplyDelete