Monday, October 18, 2010

REAL STARS

Years ago, when I was writing a book that I would later give to my girls, I ran across an article that caught my eye. I don't recall the exact information...but I remember the gist of it.

It was about the most important people in our lives.

The article began by asking the reader to name some people from the headlines. For example...could you name the five wealthiest people in the world? Could you name the most recent Miss America? Could you name the actor, actress and movie that won last years Academy Awards? Could you name the last three World Series winners?

How’d you do?

Probably like me. I could name a few billionaires, drop the name of a movie star or two and a few baseball teams...but were they the right ones? Doubt it.

The point is...none of us remember the headlines of yesterday...for very long. And these people in the headlines aren't second rate achievers. They are the best in their fields. Yet, they are forgotten. The applause dies, the awards tarnish, their achievements are forgotten, the accolades and certificates are buried with the owners.

Next, the article asked the reader to think of these type questions. Can you name the teacher(s) who aided your journey through school? Can you name three friends who have helped you through a difficult time? Can you think of four people with whom you enjoy spending time?

The lesson?

The people who make a difference in our lives are not the ones with the most credentials...the most money...or the most awards. They are the ones who care...about you...who have been there when it counted. They have been successful in a 'different' way to you. They have helped to make 'you'...'you'.

Their awards are in our hearts...not to be forgotten.

I hope you've had those people in your life. I hope 'you'...have been that person in someone else's life.

I know I've 'had' those people in my life. I hope I've been 'that' person...in someone elses.


Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment